-->

Cookie Baking Tips #1: Trial and Error

Have you ever been frustrated with the way your cookies turned out after having followed a recipe down to the very last point? I know I have! I imagined and had expectations on how amazing they would come out of the oven, rich, chewy, golden brown, only to see a lump of coal that was barely edible. Ugghhh, so demotivating! I’ve learned my lessons over the years and can finally say that I have created my own method of baking cookies that guarantees a successful outcome each and every time and here’s how I did it.

STEP #1: FRESH INGREDIENTS
     Check the expiration dates of your regular baking necessities. Baking powder, baking soda, milk, eggs, and even your chocolate chips. Remember that baking is a science, if even one ingredient used is not up to par, your cookies will not turn out the way you would like.

STEP #2: KNOW YOUR OVEN
     When following a recipe there is usually a standard direction that looks like this: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and bake for 6-10 minutes. Well thanks, because I did that and it didn’t work. Everyone has a different oven, sure they can be the same make or have similar technology within, but all ovens heat and retain heat differently. This step takes trial and error. I personally lower the heat in my oven to 325 degrees F and bake for a minimum of 5 minutes depending on the size and density of the cookie. After 5 minutes I keep a close eye to make sure the cookies don’t burn but are still cooked. Also take the time to figure out which level rack the cookies should be baked on for best outcome.

STEP #3: TIMING IS KEY
     I am not just talking about the amount of time your cookie is baked for. I was making an extensive amount of sugar cookies one year for a charitable event and I was working with one oven. I put the first batch in and voila they came out perfect. I put the second batch in and I got the same result! Great right? I put the third batch in and realized that the edges were a lot browner than the last. YIKES! I had to turn down the heat on my oven and bake for a little less time to attain my desired cookie. Now some have said, well why don’t you just get a new oven. Well firstly, I don’t have the funds to do so, secondly what would that solve. I’ve learned to work with what I have and you can too! If any of these tips help, let me know by commenting below.

Happy baking! - A.A.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Social media

Icon Icon Follow Me on Pinterest

Powered by Blogger.

Which one will it be for you?

    Popular Posts


Recent Comments